This week, we learnt about the flipped classroom model and we had a 3-D workshop.

I was not familiar with the flipped classroom model, but I found it interesting. If you are not familiar with this method, It is well explained in this video:

If you ask me, what are the benefits of the flipped classroom model? From a student perspective, I think is good to be able to re-watch a lesson until you understand the concept. Additionally, it is a good way for students to learn to self-regulate and self-learning which builds independence, but it might not work for all the students. For some students, it might be overwhelming.

From a teacher’s perspective, I think it is a good delivery method, but it involves a lot of preparation and planning. Also, we should consider that we might need a safe streaming platform, training, and/or equipment.

We should also consider accessibility issues, whether it is wifi access or access to pc’s/iPad. It was discussed in our groups that it might add work to parents (it might be seen as homework). In addition, students might have not a healthy learning environment at home.

Photo by Compare Fibre on Unsplash

In my opinion, the flipped classroom method is valuable for students learning, but I think it is not suitable for all subjects. For example, EPHE involves physical activity most of the time. Although, with the pandemic, we have learnt that everything is adaptable. I am a visual person, so I think that in my practice I would like to introduce some aspects of this methodology.

Photo by ZMorph All-in-One 3D Printers on Unsplash

One the second part of the class, we did a 3-D workshop. I enjoyed it, but I did not know how hard it was to 3-D print. Before this class, I thought that you basically uploaded a picture and then print it! But there is design and measurement involved! It was fun, but it was a bit tricky for me to complete this project.
I followed the keychain tutorial and here is my 3-D project:

I can’t wait to see how it looks once printed. I’m afraid it will be too big, but we’ll see. I’ll keep you posted!

Until next time,
R.