🙂 Learn Teach Repeat 🙃

Ready, set… and the materials?

After deciding on my inquiry topic, it was time to gather the materials. My research lead me to the website Wandering Threads embroidery where the following materials were listed as essential:

-Embroidery floss
-Embroidery needles
-Embroidery hoops
-Fabric (Cotton, wool, linen, felt, or even denim)
-Scissors
-Pencils

I had embroidery floss from other crafts, but I still needed the rest of the materials. The places in Victoria where you can buy the materials that are close to my house are Michaels, Walmart, and Dollarama. You can also get the materials online, on amazon.

I tried to order my materials through Amazon, but for some reason, even using a prime account, the materials would arrive until February 24! So, I decided to go to the physical stores. I headed to Michaels. I have been there before, and I knew I would find everything I needed there! I enjoy going to Michaels, but I always end up buying more than I need. Surprisingly, this time I bought just what I needed for my project, but I still wandered for about an hour in the store. I guess embroidery has become popular because I could not find fabric at Michaels. So, I went to Walmart, and there, I found the fabric!

My embroidery materials photo by me 🙂

So far, I have spent :

Material Price
Embroidery Floss*0.00
Embroidery needles2.27
Embroidery hoops2.45
Fabric5.00
Scissors*0.00
Pencil*0.00
Total=$9.72
I have spent less than $10.00! (Note: I have the materials mark with *)

At Michaels, I realized they sell embroidery kits that included all that I needed even the pattern. I was tempted to buy one, but I decided that it is better to start my project from scratch. Later, I remembered that you can also order the materials online, so I made this video to show you the variety of embroidery materials they have at Michaels.

Thanks for reading,
R.

1. kstockli

Hi Reyna,

This looks like a great start to your inquiry. I like your idea of logging how much money you are spending on your inquiry, it gives readers an idea of how expensive this hobby is.

I also find that I have trouble finding things at Micheals and end up wandering around for a long time. I have found embroidery floss at the dollar store but the other materials would probably be hard to find there. I’m excited to see your next steps in your inquiry.

-Kasey

2. emma

Hello, Reyna.

I was sorry to read you had troubles with supply–that seems to be ongoing in many domains, thanks to the disruptions caused by COVID. I liked that you made a joke about it in the video you posted.

I agree with Kasey that it was helpful to the reader for you to list the expenditures for everything. It doesn’t seem like a very expensive hobby, in the end.

It’s a very minor thing, but I wonder if, when you tabulated all your expenses, there was a way to make the final line–the total–stand out from all the components, such as by making the font boldface or the line separating it from the others darker or thicker.

3. lucyd

Hi Reyna,

I am the exact same when I go to Michael’s I always end up buying way more than I need and have a huge pile of yarn for future projects. I think its amazing that you have decided to start your embroidery from scratch! I personally love embroidery projects. My cousin buys the kits and has made some really cool things! I think its a great idea to keep track of your spending because crafts can get expensive fast. I know I’ve spent a lot of money on my crocheting and other projects in the past, so I should probably start keeping track of my spending too.
    Awesome work!

-Lucy