This week, we learnt about coding. As I mentioned before, last semester, I experienced how SD62 students are familiar with Scratch. This week we learnt that SD61 uses scratch too. Before telling you about this week, what is coding? well, in simple terms, coding is giving detailed instructions to a program to perform a specific task. Here is a video that explain to kids what is coding :

Using code.org, we practiced coding by helping Elsa (From the movie frozen) trace a snowflake. I thought it would be an easy activity, but in fact, it was a bit challenging. It was a trial-error process, but here is my work till step 6:

Not bad, but it needs to be centered…

Wondering about why to teach coding? I found an article mentioning the benefits of coding. According to the article, through coding, students learn problem-solving, develop critical thinking and mathematical skills, and resilience under unexpected circumstances.

Photo by stem.T4L on Unsplash

I really like to keep learning and practicing coding. As seen in class It is important to incorporate it in the classroom, but we have to be careful while implementing it because it might be frustrating for some students. Therefore, I think it is important to start with small and simple tasks.

By the way, this was my first time coding(that I remembered)? have you tried coding before?

Until next time,

R.