🙂 Learn Teach Repeat 🙃

Embroidery stitches for beginners 🪡

My next step in my inquiry is to learn and practice some basic stitches. I am using this video for reference:

I started by placing the fabric between the embroidery hoop, that was easy! Everything was going well until I got to the Bullion Knot!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am using embroidery floss from past projects. Well, that kind of floss was too thick for the bullion knot. So, I had to buy new embroidery floss. I was a bit disappointed because I had planned to work on my inquiry last Sunday afternoon, while I watched a movie, as Kasey suggested 😊, but because of this ‘problem,’ I had to pause everything. So, on Monday I went to get more embroidery floss.  I found some at Walmart for .72 cents each.

It was a good decision to buy more embroidery floss because the French knot stitch is also better made with the new embroidery floss I got.

And here is my final work!

• My Top 3 favorite stitches: french knot, fishbone, split.
  • Hardest embroidery stitch: bullion knot.
  • Easiest embroidery stitch: straight.
  • Total time to finish this project: 1.5 hours.

I am happy with my mini-project. Of course, I need more practice, but I think it’s looking good.

Until next time,

R.

1. kstockli

Hi Reyna,

That’s interesting that there are different types of embroidery floss, I thought they were all the same.

Sorry my movie plan did not work out. I would recommend trying it when you get a hang of embroidery so you do not have to focus as much or put on a movie that you don’t mind missing parts lol.

I know that your piece was just you practising different techniques but it looks really pretty. The fishbone and the lazy daisy look the coolest to me. That woven rose looks really difficult. You already look like you have great skills when it comes to embroidery.

-Kasey

2. emma

Hello, Reyna.

I love the choice of colours you made. I was also impressed by the “woven rose” stitch (does the entire thing count as a single stitch?). It’s a nice touch to list your favourites at the end; it adds a personal dimension.

I wonder if there’s a story behind the names of some of those stitches? The woven rose is obvious, the fishbone confused me at first, as it looked like a leaf, until I realised the stitches are lined up like the bones of a fish, but why “French knot,” or “satin?” Your video shows how to do them, but doesn’t provide any history.